Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they need a vacation from their vacation sometimes? We just got back from spending a few days downstate at the beach and, as much as I do love vacations, they sure can take a lot out of you! Between the long hours of travel, huge crowds, and being in the sun all day, I was exhausted by the time we got back to our hotel room each night. I know what you’re thinking – “SHUT UP! You just got back from a vacation! Stop complaining!”. I get it, I get it. All I’m trying to say is that the next time I take a few days off of work, I think a “staycation” may be in order. Just a few days of lounging around in bed and eating junk food is just what the doctor ordered.
Obviously, my vacation wasn’t all stressful and we spent 2 days lying on the beach, eating boardwalk fries, and playing games in the arcade. Since we spent our entire day outside between the beach and the boardwalk, I tried to make sure that I packed my beach bag light so I wasn’t lugging around too much all day and weighing myself down. I took only the necessities and wore minimal makeup since most of it would have slid off my face in the 95 degree weather anyway. I think these items are absolute musts to keeping yourself looking halfway decent when you have sand in your hair and your butt (we all know that happens, as much as we hate to admit it).
1. Sunglasses: OBSESSED with these round ones from Aldo right now.
2. Hat: This is just large enough to block some of the sun from hitting my face without being too big & bulky. Plus the leopard adds a nice touch.
3. Sunscreen: This is a necessity for obvious reasons. I like this one by Coppertone because it’s not too expensive and has an excellent rating on the Cosmetics Database (this is a website that tells you the safety ratings of your beauty products and is an excellent resource for those interested in the safety of the products you place on your body). I received this sample by Coola in one of my Birchbox’s and both my boyfriend and I loved it! It’s made for your face and felt much nicer than slathering on regular sunscreen.
4. Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs: This is a lotion that I use to give my legs a nice bronzed and even tone. When you’re wearing a bikini, a significant amount of your legs are exposed obviously and this evens out any discolorations and lessens the appearance of cellulite. I put it on a little after I put my sunscreen on to make sure my sunscreen has had enough time to fully absorb.
5. Regular lotion: Laying in the sand and swimming in the ocean water always severely dries out my skin. Every so often, I’ll put lotion on the places I dry out the quickest like my knees and elbows. I like this one by Vaseline because it’s light and quick to apply.
6. Blotting sheets: Between sweating all day in the 95 degree weather and my naturally oily skin, blotting sheets are definitely necessary for me.
7. Benetint by Benefit: I recently received this as a sample and I LOVE it! I honestly didn’t think I would at first because it’s kind of a different product than I’m used to using. I used this on both my lips and my cheeks while at the beach and it gave them a perfectly flushed look and lasted a lot longer than other products would have in the heat since it’s a stain.
8. Leave-in conditioner: Yet another product that I recently received as a Birchbox sample and absolutely adore. I’ve since bought the full-size version, but poured some of it in the sample bottle that I had so it would take up less space in my bag. I spritz it on my hair before I hop into the ocean so my hair won’t dry out as much from the ocean water.
9. Reading material: For those that don’t know, I’m really into health as well as beauty and fashion. This book discusses the author’s journey to getting healthy and is really funny.
10. Water: Because it’s kind of hard to look good when you’re passed out on the beach from dehydration.